Due to concerns surrounding the COVID-19 Health Crisis, the Charlestown Police Department is restricting access to our front lobby, effectively immediately. The department continues to pursue ways to balance providing efficient services to the community; while also minimizing exposure risk to personnel and virus community spread. The department has increased the number of officers on-duty and patrolling throughout the city every day, around the clock. However, while this public health crisis is underway, visitors to our department should expect to find our lobby locked and signage providing direction on how to receive services posted. So you know what to expect, and possibly save you a wasted trip to our facility; the following options can be used by the community while our lobby is restricted.
– Anyone with an EMERGENCY; as always should CALL 911 for immediate assistance.
– Non-emergency contact with an officer can be arranged by leaving a return phone message request with dispatch by calling 812-246-6996. Note: Officers are already using phone and email contact to imitate non-violent crime report requests whenever possible; and while not compromising the effectiveness of solving crime. A complete list of contact information for each department officer is also available at www.ctownpd.com/contact-us.
– Report copies can be requested via email to email@example.com. A PDF version of your report will be emailed back to you upon processing. Accident reports can be obtained on-line using the www.BuyCrash.com website.
– Fingerprinting and gun permit processing can be requested via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also leave a message at 812-256-6345 x100 for further assistance with fingerprinting and gun permit processing.
– Vehicle (VIN) Inspections are not available at this time, as Governor Holcomb has granted a 60 day extension on all motor vehicle licensing.
As soon as it is deemed safe, the Charlestown Police Department Lobby and Records Division will return to normal operations. Thank you for your continued understanding and patience.